Ok, this vegetable curry is proably the most authentic madras recipe of them all, as a large percentage of southern Indians are vegetarians or eat a lot of fish. If you are a vegetarian then this madras is great for you and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy a delicious curry with all us meat eaters!
You can adjust this vegetable madras recipe according to what produce you have in the house, or what vegetabbles are in season. Really the madras sauce is what you need to get right and the veggies just add to it. Serve this vegetable madras up with a fragrant rice, or naan bread and you’ve got a great dish to share with friends.
(Use whatever vegetables you like, below are just my suggestions)
Eight mushrooms chopped in half
400g can of chopped tomatoes
Four cauliflower florets
A couple of handfuls of peas
A good handful of green beans
Four handfuls of spinach
A large knob of butter
A chopped onion
Two finely sliced up carrots
A chopped up courgette
A teaspoon of salt
Madras Paste Ingredients: (this makes it authentic rather than using ready made stuff)
Half a teaspoon of ground black pepper
One teaspoon chili powder or a fresh chilli (or to taste if you like it hotter)
Two cloves of crushed garlic
Two tablespoons of ground coriander/cilantro
Two and a half tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
A tablespoon of ground cumin
One heaped teaspoon of turmeric
A couple of teaspoons of grated ginger
Mix up all the madras paste ingredients in a bowl.
Ok here we go…vegetable madras!
1) Put the butter in a hot pan and let it melt, then add the onion, carrots, courgette, peppers, cauliflower, peas and beans.
2) Turn the heat down and leave it to simmer for 15 minutes
3) Next add the madras paste ingredients and garlic and give it a good mix. Cook for about five minutes more.
4) Right should be smelling good now, add the salt in and the tomatoes let all this simmer for 15 minutes or so.
5) Add the spinach and let is simmer for a another 5 mins.
If it gets to dry add a little water, if it’s too runny cook it a little longer.
That’s it! Vegetable Madras recipe done and dusted. Let me know how you get on!